I guess everyone has to start somewhere

And by the title of this post I mean actors. I was skimming through a whole bunch of DVDs in a discount bin and saw "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation". Now that['s enough to make me interested. After all with a title like that you just know this is going to be a really bad movie. And I wasn't mistaken. The story is ludicrous, the effects low grade but that's exactly what I expected.

What I didn't expect was the cast list. This film, made in 1994, stars Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellwegger, names that should be familiar to anyone with even a passing interest in American films. But 16 years ago these two were unknowns and so not able to be all that choosy about the films they accepted.

So is this an embarassment for them. Well for McConnaughey I'd probably have to say yes. He can act for sure and shows it to some degree here but he is playing an immensely over-the-top psycho so his chances were very limited.

Zellwegger, however, playing the potential victim who fights back fares a hell of a lot better. She actually manages to emerge from a film as decidedly second-rate as this with some kudos intact.

Would I recommend you buy this? No, not really. Would I recommend you watch it? Well, maybe. It depends on whether you have enough friends who like sitting round for an evening, drinking beer and watching B-Movies. If you have enough of these good folks, add this to your list. It may end up being fast-forwarded a lot but you'll have a laugh with it (or should I say at its expense).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A writing update

Review of Ray Garton - Bestial

Attempts at regaining the writing saddle