Writing has resumed

I posted a short and not totally informative post a little while back intending to update it shortly afterwards.

Well time passed and I didn't get back to it. Not until today and it took a prompt to get me to do so. Joy V. Smith (whose blog can be found at http://pagadan.wordpress.com/) posted a comment to my aforementioned brief post. It kind of shamed me into typing more into this.

I know I should, if I want to be a writer, be able to type blog entries regularly but I've never truly felt anyone should want to hear what I'm thinking about general things and as I hadn't done any really new writing in some years due to a few personal issues I didn't have anything I felt typing into here would be of any benefit to anyone.

I could tell you of favourite TV programmes of recent days  - I'm enjoying the new Doctor Who - especially the latest episode Robot of Sherwood. I'm also happily watching my way through Silicon Valley and looking forward to the third season of the Newsroom.

I could tell you of a band I've only just come across and am enjoying listening to (Californian folk rock band Tempest) or albums due out soon that I am desperate to hear (Second Nature by Flying Colors) or even old favourites that have found  their way repeatedly into my CD player (and don't tell me I should do MP3s - I like the physical nature of an object and still regret selling my vinyls some years back). The oldies by the way were Suzanne Vega, Frank Zappa, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, King Crimson - I could go on.

Or I could tell you my thoughts on the upcoming Scottish Referendum - I'm hoping they vote to stay in the Union as I love the unique family of nations that makes up the United Kingdom. Or even the prospect of the Tory party leading my country disastrously out of the EU.

Does any of that matter to anyone though?

Does it matter if I told you I love visiting Italy, Belgium, Holland, France, Germany and am looking forward to going to Sweden for the first time next year - enough to be considering taking a basic Swedish course to prepare for the trip?

I have written blog posts in the past about all kinds of subjects. These were back in the days when I first tried my hand at writing and felt regular postings here would be a way of trying to spread the word.

I stopped writing - I stopped blogging.

But now I have started writing again - to a level I'd never attempted before. I've finished a first draft of a horror novel. It came in at almost exactly hone hundred thousand words and is now with a good friend of mine giving it a read.

While I am waiting I started a science fiction novel that is up to thirty five thousand words and I'm happy that the reason for the ending came to me the other day. I think it's probably going to clock in somewhere near ninety thousand words and I'm hoping it will be done before the end of October - although I will admit it's more likely to be before the end of November.

I'm back to having a pile of notepads alongside my bed which are receiving mad midnight scribblings of other ideas. I feel I will have to turn one of them into a novel as soon as I have done with the first tow and have them submitted somewhere. It just won't leave me alone. The full plot, characters, locations and several scenes keep swimming through my mind and are stopping me sleeping at night.

I'm just going to have to get on with it I guess.

Wish me luck

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A writing update

Review of Ray Garton - Bestial

Attempts at regaining the writing saddle