How to Run a Company (Novel Finished)

Well, at least the first draft is done.

In case you have no idea what I'm on about, I have been writing the first draft of my latest novel over the past few weeks and now it is finished. And the novel is called "How to Run a Company" to completely get rid of any lingering confusion. It ended up a few words over 85K, it's original planned length so I manage to stay on course. Of course that may change when I revise it. I could find it needs a whole bunch of changes that could add or subtract huge swathes of text.

The book is a bit of a satire on modern business; albeit I hope in something of a gentle way. I don't want to portray being massively against capitalism or globalisation. My personal view is that these are inevitable but they do need a little policing. Let capitalism run riot with no restrictions and it will destroy itself and take us all with it. But restrict it too much and no progress will ever happen. You want life to improve then it will take capitalism.

For all the perfect world dreams of once you remove greed then people will work for the benefit of others and to improve conditions for our whole species, it would never happen. Change will happen but it will happen because someone will benefit, and not just in the way the advance helps all. Inventors might well exist who can create the next generation of devices that will make your life and mine easier but we will only see those devices if capitalism does its job. If you could manage to get your idea into mass production without it we would think of Antonio Meucci when asked who invented the telephone not Alexander Graham Bell.

Anyway, I digress; back to the point. Whatever your feelings of big business (or even smaller businesses), most people I think would agree there is plenty of room for some ribaldry when it comes to them. Just think of Ricky Gervais' sitcom the Office and you'll see the kind of scope for it. Well, my book is another such mocking of business; albeit of a much, much company that that of the Office.

And as of about twenty minutes ago it is also finished; or draft one is. It needs a fair bit of polishing and that will happen in the future. But right now I'm done with it. That's novel number eight written. So now I need to figure out what the next project will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Ray Garton - Bestial

Attempts at regaining the writing saddle

Monday musings, ramblings and nonsensical utterances (includes a lot of writing stuff)