Some TV thoughts

I grew up in the 70s and 80s back in the days before video recorders were commonplace; certainly before On Demand TV. As a result even decades later I still find the idea of binge-watching a novelty. And exiting too, if I'm honest. The only problem is finding the kind of show that makes me want to binge-watch.

I've tried a number of shows but few have made me desperately want to watch the next episode even when I'd promised myself I was going to go to bed before each of the previous two. Some shows, much as I've enjoyed them, have seen whole days pass before I got back to them just because the mad desire, that unable to control you urges level of desire, wasn't there.

I'm counting the Marvel Netflix shows and series like Man in the High Castle amongst these. I enjoyed the first Daredevil. I really enjoyed Jessica Jones (and will admit this nearly got me losing sleep). But I stalled in the second Daredevil and am still to finish. I will. I want to give Cage a try and feel I should finish Daredevil S2 first. And Man in the High Castle lies incomplete, two episodes to go and it's been that way for about three months...checks calendar, no makes that four months. I took an enforced break when on holiday in Belgium and just never got back to it. I really must. It's a great show.

But great shows can exist without, for me, having that drag you back in front of the TV at all times addiction. I could list dozens. Recently though one show has done this or me. And perhaps not unsurprisingly it was a quirky one. Unsurprisingly because I loved Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies.

The show is the Good Place. It's a very odd version of the afterlife (like both of the above I guess) with off the wall oddness and humour pouring forth from all angles. But it is also heavily whimsical even ordering on schmaltzy at times. Ted Danson stars as the architect of a neighbourhood, a place you go when you die and he is just wonderful.

The visuals are an eclectic mix of primary colours and high society mansions. The characters delightfully flawed and surreal. We watched the entire first season and first three episodes of S2 (the only ones available until tomorrow) in a day and I want more...NOW

This is my kind of TV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Ray Garton - Bestial

Attempts at regaining the writing saddle

A writing update